|The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) USA is implementing the global program sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) to encourage and recognize hospitals and birthing centers that offer an optimal level of care for lactation. The BFHI assists hospitals in giving breastfeeding mothers the information, confidence, and skills needed to successfully initiate and continue breastfeeding their babies and gives special recognition to hospitals that have done so. |
This site includes a variety of information and tools for hospitals and birth centers, health care providers, and parents on breastfeeding and its benefits including the following:
- The 10 steps to successful breastfeeding
- A list of hospitals and birth centers in the United States that have successfully implemented the BFHI (as of July 2008)
- Information for hospitals and birth centers
- Information for parents
- Information for breastfeeding advocates/health care professionals
- Why breastfeeding is important
Healthy Children Project, Inc.
- Release Date: 01/2004
- Review Date: 01/2006
- Original Summary: 09/2008
Disclaimer: The inclusion of a tool in the Innovations Exchange does not constitute or imply an endorsement by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality or Westat of the tool or of the submitter or developer of the tool.