The U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality created the Health Care Innovations Exchange to speed the implementation of new and better ways of delivering health care. The Innovations Exchange supports the Agency's mission to improve the quality of health care and reduce disparities.
The AHRQ Health Care Innovations Exchange offers busy health professionals and researchers a variety of opportunities to share, learn about, and ultimately adopt evidence-based innovations and tools suitable for a range of health care settings and populations.
The AHRQ Health Care Innovations Exchange Web site has the following components:
- Searchable innovations: Profiles of successful and attempted innovations describe the innovative activity, its impact, how the innovator developed and implemented it, and other useful information for deciding whether to adopt the innovation.
- Searchable QualityTools: Practical tools that can help you assess, measure, promote, and improve the quality of health care.
- Learning opportunities: Many resources describing the process of innovation and adoption, as well as ways to enhance any organization's receptivity to innovative approaches to care. Resources include expert commentaries, articles, perspectives, and adoption guides.
- Networking opportunities: You can interact with innovators and organizations that have adopted innovations to learn new approaches to delivering care, and develop effective strategies for changing care delivery. You can connect with innovators by participating in Web events that focus on cutting-edge innovations and by posting comments on specific innovations. User comments may ask or respond to questions about how an innovation works and mention additional resources and lessons learned from adopting, implementing, and sustaining an innovation.
Who Uses the Health Care Innovations Exchange?
| Back to Top |
A diverse group of individuals uses the Innovations Exchange, ranging from nurses and health administrators to policymakers and researchers.
Who Guides the Health Care Innovations Exchange?
| Back to Top |
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) contracts with Westat, a research and consulting firm in Rockville, MD, to operate and maintain the Innovations Exchange. Two groups of experts provide guidance to Westat and AHRQ to ensure that the information and services provided by the Innovations Exchange meet the needs of users.
Composed of 13 nationally-known experts in health care delivery and innovation, the Expert Panel provides strategic guidance on key aspects of the Innovations Exchange, including the following:
- Sources of important and emerging innovations
- Partnerships with other organizations to further the dissemination of health care innovations
- Ways to reach and satisfy the many potential audiences for this effort
The Editorial Board provides guidance on the selection of content for the Innovations Exchange and key strategies to enhance the adoption and implementation of innovations. The six members of the Board are nationally known editors and authors on health care quality, evidence-based science, implementation science, disparities, and innovations.
Members of the Editorial Board also help identify and recruit expert commentators in such areas as health service delivery, quality improvement, disparities reduction, organizational change, health professional education, health care administration, and informatics.
Learn more about our experts.
How Can I Use the Innovations Exchange Web Site?
| Back to Top |
Learn how to make the most of the site by watching this virtual tour. The tour provides an overview of available content and describes how to search for specific profiles, topics and tools. The video also offers information about the expert panel and unique features designed to help spread innovative health care practices and policies.
| || |
Innovations Exchange: Touring the Site
Web Site Awards
| The Innovations Exchange Web site received a 2012 Interactive Media Award for Outstanding Achievement in the category of Healthcare. The Interactive Media Awards competition recognizes the highest standards of excellence in Web site design and development. || |
| In 2012 the site won a Health Care Standard of Excellence WebAward for Outstanding Achievement in Web Development from the Web Marketing Association. The WebAward competition names the best Web sites in 96 industries while setting the standard of excellence for all Web site development. || |
| The Web site was also recognized with a 2012 eHealthcare Leadership Award for Best Health/Healthcare Content from Strategic Health Care Communications. The eHealthcare Leadership Awards recognize the best health Web sites and digital communications of health care organizations. || |
Last updated: March 6, 2013.